How much time do you spend in your business every day actually doing things that make you money? You know, activities that make sales?
Logically, we know that bringing money into your business is the overall #1 priority of a business. And yet I see SO MANY small business owners who focus on anything and everything to avoid it – I include myself in this group BTW.
It’s not that you’re not smart enough, or capable enough, or anything like that. It’s that we’re just too HUMAN. Our brains have the ability to make decisions, THOUSANDS of them on a daily basis.
Things can get a little crazy “between the ears” for entrepreneurs, especially creative entrepreneurs like makers, designers, and e-commerce store owners.
Let’s say you’re releasing a new product soon and you want to send an email to your list. Your brain is telling you…
“I should send an email about my new product and write a new blog post. Yeah, I’ll do that.”
And then, the brain takes it away…
- Should I write a post or do a video?
- Is my camera too crappy?
- I should probably wait until I get my hair done and lose a little weight
- So I’ll write a blog instead
- But what should I say?
- Who’s my target customer, anyway? I should really dig into that before I waste my time writing
- Should I write the post first or send the email first?
- Do I put the same content in the email? Plus the link to the product? Is that too much?
- Is my shopping cart working correctly? I should probably check my Abandoned Cart sequence
- What about social media? I don’t want to “bother” people with the same info blasted everywhere
- Oh geez, so much to do…
- Where should I start?
- Oh!! Looky here, the new season of “This Is Us” is on…
So you end up on the couch with ice cream and Netflix instead. 🙁
And then it’s like…I’ll just be here on the couch with my THOUGHTS about marketing and my PLAN to get sales but no actual execution that leads to RESULTS.
It’s the overthinking that leads us to confusion and feeling overwhelmed. So we don’t take any action.
And no action means no sales.
Today’s podcast will help you make a decision and stick to it.
You can also listen and subscribe on iTunes or Stitcher Radio
I truly believe that the #1 thing that RUINS a business is when the owner overthinks. We have great ideas and plans to do stuff about these ideas and then we overthink what we should do and get stuck.
Has this ever happened to you? Let me know what you think of this episode in the comments below. And could you do me a favor? Which topic would you like me to cover next?
A: Driving “qualified” traffic to your site or blog
B: Real-life productivity for creatives
C: How to create your marketing plan
Thanks for reading (and listening),
P.S. My mission is to get you focused on what’s truly important to work on in your business and into ACTION to execute. If you’re interested in going further with the topics we discuss on the podcast, head over to Imperfect Action.